3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
sticks butter, cubed and chilled
½ cups whole-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and butter in large mixing bowl and blend until butter is size of black-eyed peas.
- Add buttermilk to mixture, mixing until dough forms.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface and roll to ½ inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits using 3-inch cutter, dipping cutter in flour before cutting each biscuit.
- Place biscuits on parchment-lined sheet pan. Place in refrigerator to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix together egg and milk in small bowl, then brush onto biscuits. Bake 9–12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove biscuits from oven and brush with melted butter.
- from Chef Shelley Cooper of TerraMae Appalachian Bistro, Chattanooga, Tennessee