1 pound white trumpet mushrooms
6 cups water or chicken stock
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small shallot, minced
10 ounces arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
Juice of 1 lime, divided
1 cup fresh, wild rock shrimp
1 tablespoon sambal chili
½ pound arugula
- In a small pot over medium-high heat, cook mushrooms in chicken stock until softened, about 20 minutes. Strain mushrooms and reserve liquid for cooking risotto. Set mushrooms and stock aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed stockpot, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add shallots and sauté until softened. Add rice and stir with a wooden spoon to coat all grains with oil. Add white wine and cook until evaporated.
- Add reserved stock 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly, letting the liquid absorb between each addition. Once rice has only a slight bite left to it, about 18 to 20 minutes, stir in butter.
- Season risotto with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice. Add cooked mushrooms and stir to combine.
- In a large pan, add the shrimp, remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and sambal chili and sauté until shrimp is cooked through.
- Dress arugula with remaining lime juice. To serve, plate the shrimp and dressed arugula next to the risotto.
- From Brooke Mallory, Burlock Coast, Fort Lauderdale, Florida