High-heat frying oil, such as grapeseed
4 (6-ounce) boneless chicken breasts, cut into 6 strips each
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup flour
1 cup cracker meal
Pinch sea salt
Pinch ground black pepper
¼ cup merlot vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 pinches sugar
Pinch white pepper
¼ red watermelon, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cups baby arugula, loosely packed
8 ounces goat cheese
½ cup pecans, toasted
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped mint
For the fried chicken:
For the salad:
- Cover bottom of large skillet with oil, to a depth of 1/2 inch, and heat over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish or bowl, combine chicken and buttermilk.
- In a separate shallow dish or bowl, whisk together flour, cracker meal, salt, and pepper. Dredge buttermilk-soaked chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Fry in oil until cooked through.
- While chicken cooks, in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, salt, sugar, and pepper. Toss remaining ingredients together to make salad and serve with fried chicken on top.
- From chef Frank Lee of Maverick Kitchens, Charleston, SC