The deviled egg is a friendly classic that goes perfectly for any family gathering, summer barbecue, or get together. With an additional Southern flare from a local fried oyster, this enhancement makes all the difference in this deviled egg recipe from the Grand Bohemian Hotel in Charleston. Get your hands on some local oysters and definitely don’t forget the pickled okra and minced chives to top off this perfect pair.
Serves 20 as an appetizer
½ cup minced red onion
½ cup minced carrot
1 cup minced celery
2 cups mayonnaise
½ cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 cups fine cornmeal
4 cups tempura flour
40 local oysters
Soybean oil for frying
1 cup sliced pickled okra
Minced chives for garnish
Fried Oysters Ingredients
- Prepare the deviled eggs: In a large pot, place eggs and cover completely in cold water. Over high heat, bring to a rolling boil and set a timer to cook eggs for exactly 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, remove pot from heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Prepare an ice bath: Fill a pot or large bowl with ice and water. Transfer eggs to ice bath and let sit for 10 minutes. Shell eggs and slice in half, lengthwise. Remove egg yolks, reserving in a small bowl. Place egg whites upside down on a dish towel to dry.
- Make filling: In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes until pale yellow and airy. Add mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and spices, and continue beating until smooth and fluffy. Add the vegetables to the mixture and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer deviled egg mixture to a piping bag with a star tip. Evenly pipe 1 tablespoon of mixture into the 40 egg shell halves. Store in refrigerator while you prepare the fried oysters.
- Prepare fried oysters: In a shallow bowl or dish, whisk together cornmeal and tempura flour. Working one at a time dredge oysters in flour mixture.
- In a fryer or stock pot, heat oil to 375 degrees. Carefully add oysters to oil and cook until golden and crisp, about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer cooked oysters on paper towel to drain.
- Garnish oysters on top of each deviled egg with pickled okra and minced chives.
Recipe ByDaniel Acosta of Grand Bohemian Hotel, Charleston