“It really does not matter how poorly these cookies are decorated, because they taste so good. Almond extract is the key to the terrific flavor. Let kids decorate and make a mess, and these treats will still disappear.”
- Chef Elizabeth Chambers
- Preheat oven to 265 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into large bowl. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- With mixer running, add eggs and extract to creamed butter mixture.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, incorporating well.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and divide in half. Flatten each half into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate overnight.
- Roll dough out on floured work surface to desired thickness and cut into shapes of choice.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before decorating.
- To make icing, whisk eggs whites on high speed in bowl of stand mixer until frothy.
- Slowly incorporate vanilla extract and confectioners’ sugar until mixture is smooth and fluffy. Add food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until desired color is achieved. Note: If making more than 1 color, divide icing, and color accordingly. Spread evenly over cookie surface using brushes or a piping bag.