24 large shrimp, heads on
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 head fennel, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
½ white onion, thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons pastis liqueur, divided
- Peel shrimp, leaving on heads and tails. Devein and rinse.
- Heat 2 sauté pans over medium-high heat.
- Pour 1 tablespoon canola oil into each pan.
- In first pan, add fennel, garlic and onion. Cook until tender, 3–5 minutes.
- Working in batches, place enough shrimp in second pan to cover bottom. Sear shrimp on one side until they begin to develop pink color.
- Flip shrimp over, remove from heat, and add lemon and 2 tablespoons pastis.
- Return pan to heat and sear on second side. Repeat process with remaining shrimp.
- Divide fennel mixture between 4 plates. Top with shrimp and enjoy!
- from Chef Jill Mathias of Chez Nous, Charleston, South Carolina