- Combine brown sugar, garam masala, salt, and pepper. Rub spice mixture liberally over pork belly and let sit at least 1 hour (for best results, leave covered in refrigerator overnight).
- Place pork belly on a rack in an oven set to the lowest setting for 3–4 hours. (Note: if belly starts to caramelize place a small amount of water in the bottom of the sheet pan and cover with foil.) Cool and portion. Reheat before serving.
- Serve over apple-frisée salad drizzled with tamarind gastrique.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt and honey. Season with salt, pepper, and star anise powder.
- In a large bowl, toss frisée, mint, and apple with enough dressing to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- Place sugar in a heavy saucepan set over medium-high heat. Heat until sugar begins to melt. Stir until sugar completely dissolves, then cook without stirring until deep golden in color, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add vinegar (mixture will harden). Stir until caramel melts, about 1 minute.
- Add tamarind juice; boil until mixture begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and boil until gastrique coats the back of a spoon and is reduced to about ½ cup, about 15 minutes.