¼ extra virgin olive oil, divided
6 ounces hen of the woods mushrooms, cleaned
12 ounces gemelli pasta
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
4 ounces dry white wine
2 tablespoons butter
1 lemon, juiced and zested
12 leaves Tuscan kale, stems removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
Pinch of chili flakes
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat a wide pan over medium-high heat. Add half the oil and sauté mushrooms until golden.
- Start cooking the pasta.
- Add garlic to the pan with the mushrooms and bloom until golden brown.
- Deglaze with white wine, reducing by 2/3, and add a few tablespoons of pasta water and butter.
- When cooked to just under al dente, strain the pasta and add to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, kale, chili flakes, and half of both the parsley and cheese. Cook until kale is only partially wilted.
- Divide among 4 plates and top with remaining parsley, cheese, and lemon zest.
- from Chef Philip Krajeck of Rolf and Daughters, Nashville, Tennessee