1 large egg yolk, room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cold water
¾ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
12 ounces albacore tuna packed in water, drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup English cucumber, diced
½ cup thinly sliced scallions
½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
½ tablespoon lime juice
For Ginger-Lime Mayonnaise
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and water until frothy.
- Slowly drizzle about ¼ cup oil into egg mixture, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick and oil is incorporated. When mayonnaise emulsifies and starts to thicken, add remaining oil in steady, thin stream while whisking.
- Fold in ginger, sesame oil, and lime zest.
- In large mixing bowl, combine tuna with 4 tablespoons prepared mayonnaise (or more if desired) and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Fold in cucumber, scallions, bell pepper, and lime juice. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- from Gena Knox, author of Southern My Way, Athens, GA