5 cups sugar
5½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
2½ teaspoons baking powder
2½ teaspoons salt
⅔ cup cocoa powder
2½ cups vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons red food coloring
2½ cups buttermilk
1 pound butter, at room temperature
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
2 pounds powdered sugar
For the cake:
For the cream cheese icing:
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut two circles of parchment paper and line the bottom of two (10-inch) cake pans. Grease with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, sift dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, and stir well to combine.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool slightly in their pans, then take them out of the pans and let cool completely.
- Make the icing: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix all ingredients until creamy and fluffy.
- Cut each cake crosswise to create two layers. Place one layer on a cake plate or stand and top with 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons icing; spread evenly. Add another cake layer and top with icing, repeating until all four layers have been assembled. Use remaining icing to ice the exterior of the cake.
Recipe ByEsther Steffenelli