4 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla paste (acquired by scraping a
5 silver gelatin sheets, bloomed in water
6 ounces goat cheese
1 cup buttermilk
1½ cup sugar
Water, as needed
1 pound fresh cherries, pitted and halved
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
Juice and zest of 1 orange
Cherry Citrus Compote
- To prepare panna cotta, in a heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat add cream, sugar, and vanilla paste. Bring to a simmer.
- Add bloomed gelatin and whisk until dissolved.
- Once all gelatin is dissolved, add goat cheese and buttermilk, removing from heat immediately. Rest on a heat resistant surface for 5 minutes away from heat.
- Once goat cheese is completely dissolved,divide mixture amongst 4-6 serving dishes or jars. Allow to cool overnight, or a minimum of 6 hours, before serving.
- To make the compote, in a heavy-bottomed pot set over medium-high heat add sugar and enough water to moisten sugar for making caramel. Cook.
- Just as sugar begins to brown add fresh cherries. Carefully stir, as the sugar will begin to seize. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow juice from cherries to dissolve into sugar.
- Once cherry liquid has reduced by half, add vanilla paste, orange zest, and juice.
- Cook mixture until a syrup consistency. Allow to cool, serve immediately, or refrigerate for storage.
- from Chef Aaron Deal, The River and Rail, Roanoke, Virginia