Yield: 1 quart
1 pound fresh gooseberries
1 medium onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Fresno chili, halved
½ cup bourbon
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ French’s Yellow Mustard
½ cup sorghum
2 tablespoons soy sauce, preferably Bourbon Barrel Foods
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably Georgia Olive Farms
Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweat onions, garlic and chili in olive oil with generous pinch of salt.
- Cook until translucent then add gooseberries.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to simmer.
- When berries begin to pop, remove from heat.
- Puree mixture in blender or with immersion blender then pass it through fine sieve.
- Reheat and season to taste.
Chef’s note: make sure you don’t cook the sauce for too long as the fruitiness from the gooseberries will dissipate if you overcook them (should cook approximately 10 – 15 minutes).
- From Chef Ian Boden of The Shack in Staunton, Virginia