5 pounds green tomatoes, medium diced
2 pounds yellow onion, julienned
2 red Serrano peppers or other medium-hot chiles, finely diced
4 green bell peppers, finely diced
1 large head cabbage, julienned
½ cup kosher salt
3 cups cider vinegar
3-inch piece fresh ginger, finely diced
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Mix tomatoes, onion, Serrano peppers, green peppers, and cabbage with half of salt. Put in a colander set inside a bowl to drain overnight.
- Sanitize jars and have them ready in water bath.
- Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel pot and bring to a low simmer, skimming any foam that rises to the top. Continue cooking and skimming until reduced by a third.
- Add mixture into prepared canning jars and process for 10 minutes.
- Let jars rest for a few days before eating to allow flavors to develop.
- from Chef Josh Quick of Odette in Florence, Alabama