8 artichoke hearts
2 lemons, juiced
1 pound asparagus, trimmed of woody ends
1 bulb fennel, shaved
4 ounces lemon vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1 cup parmesan
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup sherry vinegar
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Using a bread knife slice off the top of the artichokes. Remove tough outer leaves. Using a vegetable peeler or paring knife, peel the sides and base of artichoke. Cut them in half and remove any prickly leaves that may have formed.
- Blanch artichokes in salted boiling water with the juice of 2 lemons for about 15 minutes or until they can be pierced easily with a fork. Remove from water and shock immediately in an ice bath.
- Blanch asparagus for about a minute in salted boiling water. Remove and shock immediately in an ice bath. Once asparagus are cool, slice into 2-inch pieces.
- For lemon vinaigrette, mix lemon juice, sherry vinegar, shallot, honey, and mustard in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, constantly whisking until all oil is added. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Drizzle artichokes with olive oil and grill over a medium-hot grill about 4 minutes or until a little charred. Flip and grill the other side.
- Add to a mixing bowl with shaved fennel and sliced asparagus. Season with salt and pepper, toss with lemon vinaigrette, and top with parmesan.
- from Chef John Ondo of Lana in Charleston, SC