1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded, rough chopped
4 ounces chicken stock
1 rutabaga, peeled and medium chopped
1 turnip, peeled and medium chopped
1 turban squash, peeled and medium chopped
2-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon fine herbs
2 cobia fillets, 6 ounces each
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a small pot on medium heat. Add butternut squash and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook the squash until soft, about 20 – 30 minutes. Puree stock and squash together, salt and pepper to taste, and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss root vegetables together in oil and place on baking sheet. Roast vegetables until slightly brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fines herbes and salt and pepper to taste. Reserve for plating.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Season grill with oil. Salt and pepper cobia filets and place on grill to cook for about 2 – 3 minutes per side, or until done. Remove from grill.
- To plate, place root vegetables on plate, place spoonful of butternut puree next to vegetables, top with fish and drizzle with bacon butter (recipe below). Serve immediately.
- from Jeremiah Bacon at The Macintosh and Oak Steakhouse in Charleston, SC