Tops from one bulb fennel minced
¼ bunch italian parsley minced
Zest of 2 lemons
¼ cup olive oil
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch red pepper flakes
6 (6-8 ounce) trout fillets
Zest of 2½ lemons
½ cup roughly chopped pickled fennel
½ cup capers drained and rinsed well roughly chopped
1¼ cups mayonnaise
¼ cup Lusty Monk mustard
½ tablespoon hot sauce
½ tablespoon roasted garlic paste
4 ounces arugula (or salad greens)
¾ cup pickled fennel
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup blistered cherry tomatoes
1-2 cucumbers, seeded and sliced
Pinch sea salt
¼-½ cup pomegranate vinaigrette (recipe follows; or use your favorite dressing)
(Makes 1 cup)
¼ cup pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (or substitute honey)
1 tablespoon tahini
2 tablespoons pickling liquid from fennel
½ cup olive oil,Salt and freshly ground black pepper
toasted in a dry pan on medium heat until fragrant
For the fennel top marinade:
For the pickled fennel remoulade:
For the pickled fennel salad:
For the pomegranate vinaigrette:
- Make the fennel top marinade: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except trout and stir to combine. Pour over fish and let marinate for 1 hour.
- While trout marinates, make the remoulade: Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Grill the trout: Heat grill with one burner set to high heat and the other to medium heat. Oil grates and grill trout over high heat for 4 minutes. Flip trout and move to medium heat, grilling for 10 more minutes, or until done (timing will depend on thickness of fish).
- While trout grills, make the vinaigrette: In a mixing bowl, combine pomegranate juice, pomegranate molasses, tahini, and fennel pickling liquid. While whisking, slowly stream in olive oil. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Assemble the salad: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, tossing to incorporate vinaigrette. Serve alongside grilled trout and pickled fennel remoulade.
- Recipe by Ken Naron of Canyon Kitchen in Sapphire, North Carolina