1½ pounds eggplant, preferably smaller white or purple varieties, halved lengthwise
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
Juice of 1 lemon, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon Duke’s mayonnaise, plus more to taste
½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut eggplants in half. Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into a pie plate and turn each piece of eggplant in the oil to thoroughly coat. Add more oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, as necessary.
- Lay pieces cut side up on a rimmed baking pan. Broil, with surface of eggplants 2 to 3 inches from flame, until eggplants are thoroughly browned, about 10 minutes. Turn eggplants so their skins face up and continue to broil until skins are thoroughly blackened.
- Transfer eggplants to a bowl, cover, and let rest 10 minutes until completely cooked through and soft. Peel off skins and place the eggplant pulp in the bowl of a food processor. Add lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper and process until the mixture is smooth and spreadable.
- Transfer to a small bowl and serve with baguette slices or crudités (such as radishes and carrots).
- From Matt and Ted Lee, Charleston, South Carolina