5 dozen small hushpuppies
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
2½ cups cornmeal (we use a medium-coarse grind for added texture)
2½ tablespoons sugar
2½ teaspoons baking soda
3½ teaspoons baking powder
2½ teaspoons salt
2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2½ cups buttermilk
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
½ white onion, grated on a box grater into a bowl to catch all of the juice
Vegetable or peanut oil for frying Butter for serving
- Mix first 6 ingredients in one bowl, being careful to completely incorporate the baking powder and soda and to remove any clumps.
- Mix the eggs, buttermilk, and green and white onions in another bowl. Pour dry mixture over the wet and combine until all lumps are gone. Place in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes before frying.
- Heat vegetable oil in fryer or deep pot to 325 degrees.
- Scoop out 1 heavy rounded tablespoon of hushpuppy batter at a time and fry until golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
- Enjoy with either warm butter and/or a white remoulade.
- from Chef Jeremy Wolgamott of High Hat Cafe in New Orleans, LA