Orange Zest Loaf
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9×4×3-inch loaf pan and dust with flour, shaking out the excess.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together orange zest and sugar and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese until well blended and smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually add in the sugar mixture and vanilla and continue to beat on medium-high speed about 3−4 minutes or until very light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs one at a time until completely mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure all the ingredients are completely mixed.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture in thirds and mix just until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Tap the loaf firmly on the counter top to make sure any air bubbles are removed from the batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool for at least 30 minutes before unmolding.
- Meanwhile, to make the soaking syrup, combine ¼ cup sugar and orange juice in a small non-reactive saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring often. Once the sugar dissolves, continue cooking for about 5 minutes until the syrup deepens in color and starts to reduce.
- When the loaf is cool enough to handle, transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Poke hole in the cake with a skewer and pour the soaking syrup generously on top. Repeat until completely moistened. Set aside for at least 10 minutes until the syrup completely absorbed.
- Toss your choice of fruit together with sugar and liquor until well combined and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream on medium speed until it starts to thicken.
- Add the confectioners sugar and beat until the cream holds nice soft peaks.
- Slice the cake into ½-inch-thick slices. Layer the cake pieces on the bottom of a 2½−3-quart trifle bowl. Add a layer of fruit followed by whipped cream and repeat previous steps creating multiple layers.
- Top with whipped cream and your choice of fresh berries and fruit.