Oil for coating peppers and tomatoes
6 medium plum tomatoes
2 serrano peppers
1/2 small white onion, rough chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, divided
2 garlic cloves, whole and peeled
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss tomatoes and peppers in oil and place on cookie sheet. Roast in oven, turning once, until skin blisters and separates, about 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place onion and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Remove skins from peppers and tomatoes. Add serrano peppers to food processor with half of the cilantro and pulse four times.
- Add tomatoes and salt, pulse four times. Garnish with remaining cilantro leaves and serve.
- from Chef Hugo Ortega of Hugo's Authentic Mexican Cuisine in Houston, Texas