1 egg, beaten
¼ cup cream
½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
1 pound jumbo lump crab, picked clean of shells and leaving lumps as whole as possible
Panko bread crumbs
¼ cup chopped parsley
Oil for cooking
- Mix beaten egg with cream and spices in a small bowl.
- Pour over picked crab and toss lightly.
- Add panko and parsley. Toss lightly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more (this allows the panko to swell)
- Form into 6 3-ounce cakes.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Pan sear until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook other side.
- Serve with whatever you like, but Lee suggests a mixture of summer corn, okra, grape tomatoes, and yellow squash sautéed in chicken stock, and topped with sweet pepper relish.
- from Chef Frank Lee of SNOB in Charleston, South Carolina