2 cups buttermilk
10 garlic cloves
1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
6 whole serrano (or 3 large jalapeño) peppers, seeded if desired
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 bunch fresh mint
2 tablespoons kosher salt
8 boneless skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Garnish: Mango drizzle (recipe follows)
½ cup mango pulp (kesar or alphonso variety; find at your local Indian grocer)
4 Thai green chiles
2 garlic cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
For the fried chicken:
For the mango drizzle:
- Prepare the chicken: In a blender, puree buttermilk, garlic, ginger, peppers, cilantro, mint, and salt until smooth. Place the chicken in a large glass dish or bowl. Pour the buttermilk puree over the chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Make the mango drizzle: Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Fry the chicken: Fill a large (12-inch) cast-iron skillet with ⅓ inch oil and gently heat to 350 degrees. Set a wire rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- While the oil is heating, remove the chicken from the buttermilk puree, gently shake off excess, and dredge each piece in flour.
- Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down; at this point, the oil should come halfway up the pan. Cook chicken until it turns golden brown, 4 minutes per side.
- Drain the chicken on the rack and drizzle with melted coconut oil. Garnish with mango drizzle.
Note: The chicken marinates for 24 hours, so plan accordingly.
- Recipe from Asha Gomez of Cardamom Hill, Atlanta, Georgia