4 pounds radishes, trimmed then halved or quartered
½ cup salt + ½ teaspoon salt, divided
5 cups water
5 pods star anise
5 slivers fresh ginger
5 garlic cloves
5 slices jalapeño
4 cups white vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- Dissolve ½ cup salt with about 5 cups water. Add radishes. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours overnight.
- Drain and rinse, Place radishes in sterilized jars. Add a pod of star anise, one slice of ginger, one garlic clove, and one slice of jalapeño to each jar.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Pour over radishes, leaving at least a ¼ inch of space at the top.
- Place sterilized lids on jars and hand tighten rings. Lower jars into boiling water. Set timer for ten minutes once water returns to a boil. Remove jars and place on towel.
- After jars have cooled slightly (about ten minutes) invert jars and leave for at least 12 hours. Ensure all jars have sealed properly by checking lids.
- Recipe by Kevin Johnson of The Grocery in Charleston, South Carolina