1 English cucumber,shaved into coins
2 tablespoons mint, chopped chiffonade
Salt and pepper
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
¼ cup Greek yogurt
2 pounds ground lamb shoulder
6 tablespoons merguez spice (recipe follows)
4 buns, preferably homemade
1 large tomato, cut into 4 even slices
2 tablespoons ground fennel
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
¼ cup smoked paprika
2½ tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
¼ cup salt
3 tablespoons granulated garlic
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Macerate cucumbers, mint, salt, pepper, and lemon juice for 10 minutes. Strain and mix with Greek yogurt and lemon zest. Refrigerate.
- In a bowl, combine ground lamb and merguez spice. Lightly incorporate, but do not overwork, and form into 4 equal-size patties.
- On a high-temperature grill, cook burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side. They should be medium well. Remove from grill and rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Place burger on the bottom of each bun, top each burger with a tomato slice, and finish with cucumber mixture and top bun.
Combine all ingredients evenly.
Yield / approximately 1½ cups
- from Chef Craig Deihl of Cypress in Charleston, SC