- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream lard and sugar together in stand mixer, until light and fluffy. With mixer running, add eggs 1 at a time, incorporating fully before adding next egg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture and buttermilk in alternating batches to the stand mixer, beginning and ending with dry flour mix.
- Spoon cake batter into half-pint Mason jelly jars and transfer to baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare the strawberries. Toss with olive oil and place over a grill on high heat. Turn strawberries frequently until they are softened and lightly charred on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Put cream and honey into stand mixer and cream together until soft peaks form.
- When cakes are done and cool, spoon the cream over top and divide strawberries among the jars.
- Recipe by chef Nate Allen of Knife & Fork in Spruce Pine, North Carolina