Bring home Little Debbie home with this authentic yet decadent oatmeal cream pie recipe from Chef Ian Boden of Virginia’s The Shack Restaurant.
1¼ cups unsalted butter, softened
1¼ cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons sorghum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
3 cups quick oats
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 5 minutes on medium speed. Add egg, sorghum, and vanilla extract, and paddle for another five minutes.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until homogenous.
- Scoop dough into small rounds and flatten on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake until barely browned around the edges, about 6–12 minutes, depending on your oven and size of each cookie (the cookies should still be very soft when done baking), then cool.
Mix all ingredients together in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until completely mixed.
To Finish and Assemble
Mound filling in the middle of 1 cookie, place second cookie on top, and squeeze lightly to evenly distribute.