Break out the ice cream, Nathalie Dupree’s grated apple pie recipe will ensure your kitchen smells like all the flavors of fall: cinnamon, apples, and roasted pecans.
⅔ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
4½ cups tart apples (Granny Smith, for example), peeled, cored, and coarsely grated
1 large egg, lightly beaten
⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Fill the pie pan with the piecrust and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour the filling into the piecrust and sprinkle with pecans.
- Place on the top or upper-middle rack of the oven and bake for 10 minutes; then lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 45−50 minutes.
- Cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil as needed to prevent over-browning.
- Cool the pie in the pan on a wire rack.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and apples; then combine with the egg and butter.
- from chef and author Nathalie Dupree of Charleston, South Carolina