Prepare a charcoal grill with a half-chimney of coals. Skewer okra and brush with olive oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Grill for a few minutes per side, until charred and tender. Transfer okra to a bowl and toss with corn, tomato shrimp vinaigrette, scallion, and basil. Finish with sea salt.
Tomato Shrimp Vinaigrette
In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients. Puree just until combined, but mixture still has a chunky texture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Coal-Cooked Sweet Potato
Sliced Tomatoes with Cane Vinegar
- Wrap sweet potato in foil. Prepare a charcoal grill. Once coals are fully lit, place sweet potato among them. Let cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes, turning potato halfway through cook time.
- Using a knife and a towel to protect your hands, open potato, and slice into chunks. Finish with a drizzle of cane syrup and sprinkle of sea salt.
Cut tomato into thick wedges and dress with cane vinegar and shiso leaves.
Peach Hot Sauce
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Bread and Butter Pickles
Serve with Marjie's fried catfish
- Combine cucumbers with ½ cup salt, ice, and 1 gallon water and refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium pan, combine remaining ingredients with ½ cup water and remaining ½ cup salt and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. As soon as pickling brine boils, remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Drain cucumbers and submerge in cooled pickling brine. Allow to sit in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.