- Make Marjie’s Yellow Spice: Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Start the catfish: In a bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, and Marjie’s Yellow Spice. Soak catfish in mixture for at least 1 hour, and up to overnight.
- In a large cast-iron skillet fitted with a deep fry thermometer, heat lard to 350 degrees (or until it begins to sizzle when you flick a bit of flour into it).
- While oil heats, make the dredge: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix to incorporate.
- Remove catfish from marinade and allow excess buttermilk to drip off. Coat catfish in dredge, pressing to ensure fish is totally covered. Shake off excess.
- When oil has reached 350 degrees, gently lay catfish in pan. Fry for 3 minutes on each side, until coating is crispy and browned. Transfer fish to a rack and let rest for 2 minutes. Finish with fresh herbs.