1 cup raw cashews
1 cup water
¼ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
⅛ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
10 varieties seasonal vegetables
cut into bite-sized pieces
Soft herbs (chervil)
dill and chives for garnish
Olive praline for garnish (recipe follows)
2 cups pitted black olives
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup glucose
- Soak cashews in water for 2–12 hours. Pour water and softened cashews into a blender. Purée until completely smooth. Season with salt and chill.
- In a large bowl, combine orange juice, grapefruit juice, and vinegar. Gradually stream in oil while vigorously whisking. Season with salt and set aside.
Market Vegetable Salad
- For seasonal vegetables, depending on vegetable varieties, blanch, pickle, roast, and/or leave raw. Or do a mix. Keep them chilled in the refrigerator.
- To assemble, toss the mixed vegetables in the vinaigrette. Place a heavy spoonful of cashew purée on each plate and top with vegetables. Garnish with herbs and olive praline.
- Dehydrate olives in a dehydrator for 15 hours, until completely dry (also possible to dehydrate in oven set to lowest temperature on a parchment lined sheet pan for roughly the same amount of time). Weigh 80 grams of dried olives. Reserve remaining for another use.
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar and glucose. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. When mixture becomes a deep amber color, immediately add dried olives.
- Remove and place on a sheet pan to cool completely. Once cooled, chop finely.
- from Executive Chef/Owner Michael Stoltzfus of Coquette in New Orleans, LA