1 750 ml bottle fruity red wine
1 750 ml bottle spicy but not super tannic red
Zest of 2 oranges
Zest of 2 blood oranges
Zest of 1 lemon
12 cinnamon sticks toasted
20 whole cloves toasted
Seeds of 12-15 cardamom pods lightly toasted
Turbinado sugar to taste
½ bottle (375 ml) vodka
½ bottle (375 ml) Aalborg aquavit
Almonds for garnish
Raisins for garnish
- Combine wine and toasted spices in a pot. Add zest and set over medium heat.
- Simmer 7-10 minutes, then let sit until spice level fits your taste.
- Add sugar to taste and when dissolved take off heat and strain through cheesecloth.
- Mix in vodka and aquavit.
- Pour into heat-safe glasses with almonds and raisins at bottom.
- from Mattias Hagglund of Heritage, Richmond, VA