Giblets from turkey
Scant amount of water
½ cup dry white wine
4 tablespoons of turkey fat
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour flour
Turkey gizzard, heart, and liver
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put giblets in saucepan and barely cover with water. Simmer until tender, approximately 1 hour. Save water giblets were cooked in.
- Separate fat from turkey drippings in roasting pan after turkey has been removed from the oven.
- Deglaze roasting pan with ½ cup dry white wine and set aside. Measure out 4 tablespoons of turkey fat, melt in saucepan, add 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Cook, stirring constantly until flour flavor is gone.
- Combine separated turkey drippings, wine with deglazed turkey bits, and stock from cooked giblets to read 4 cups total liquid. Slowly stir liquid into roux. Cook the gravy until thickened.
- Trim the izzard and then dice gizzard, heart, and liver and add back into gravy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- from Ann "Mimi" Liddell & Chef Katie Button, of Cúrate in Asheville, NC