3 cups (4-6 servings)
1½ cups whole milk
½ cup heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
4 ounces dark chocolate
2 ounces milk chocolate
1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
2 ounces bourbon (more or less)
Mini marshmallows for garnish
- In heavy-bottomed pot, combine milk and cream. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into pot and add pod. Set over medium heat until hot.
- Add chocolate, stirring to incorporate until completely melted. Turn heat to low. Add cinnamon and stir.
- Remove vanilla bean. Mixture will thicken as it simmers; take care not to scorch.
- Stir in bourbon, and remove from heat. Serve in mugs and garnish with marshmallows.
Since opening Phillip Ashley Chocolates Design Studio and Boutique in Memphis’ Historic Cooper-Young District two years ago, Rix has become sought after his wildly flavored confections such as this dark chocolate bread pudding with a traditional whiskey sauce drizzled over the top.
- from Phillip Ashley Rix of Phillip Ashley Chocolates, Memphis, Tennesee