2-3 dozen cookies, depending on thickness and cookie size
1 quart molasses
¾ pound brown sugar
¾ pound shortening
2 tablespoons cloves
2 tablespoons ginger
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons baking soda
3 ¼ pounds flour
- Heat molasses, brown sugar, shortening, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon until shortening has melted. Mix in the baking soda and stir until dissolved. Note: Mixture will be very foamy. Allow to cool.
- When cool, add flour. Mix well and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Roll dough out thin on a covered board with a covered rolling pin. Cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake until done, about 15−20 minutes. Cool and store in airtight containers.
Note: If you can’t make it to Old Salem and don’t feel up to giving it a go yourself, rest assured that many area bakers will gladly ship a taste of Moravian delights to you—Winkler Bakery, Salem Baking Co., Mrs. Hanes’ Hand-Made Moravian Cookies, and Dewey’s Bakery among them.
- from The Old Salem Museums & Gardens Cookbook