½ cup lemon juice
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons minced shallot
2 tablespoons fresh herbs minced (basil and parsley)
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
2 tablespoons capers, minced
Freshly ground pepper
1 flank steak
1 cup soy sauce
¼ cup sesame oil
3 bulbs minced garlic
¼ cup grated ginger
6 eggs, boiled, peeled and quartered
1 pound fingerling potatoes boiled and cut in half
1 pound green beans blanched and cooled
1 pound heirloom tomatoes randomly cut
1 sweet onion thinly sliced
8 ounces good olives (Kalamata, Niçoise)
8 cups mixed green
Salad Niçoise is a French salad, but we’ve given it a little bit of a twist, taking advantage of some of our farmer friends’ products and adapting it to our own tastes. It does take time to prepare, but once everything is prepped, it’s easy to throw together. Invite eight or ten of your closest friends, bring out the wine, and have a BIG time!
- Blend all ingredients together and adjust seasoning.
- Marinate flank steak in soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Let marinate for 8 hours in the
- Grill to medium rare or desired temperature.
- Rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Slice thinly against the grain.
- Arrange remaining ingredients on a large platter, topped with the flank steak and drizzled with caper vinaigrette.
- from Chef Dale Hawkins of Fish Hawk Acres, Rock Cave, West Virginia