1¾ cups sugar
1⅓ cups olive oil
1¼ cups milk
3 eggs,Zest of 1 orange
⅓ cup orange juice
¼ cup Cointreau
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup poppy seeds
4 cups heavy cream
2¼ cups milk
1 cup sugar
8 sheets gelatin bloomed in ice water
½ cup chèvre
Fresh black pepper
1 pint strawberries
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together first 7 ingredients.
- In second bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and poppy seeds. Add dry ingredients into egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour batter into 10-inch cake pan that has been sprayed and lined with parchment paper. Bake about 45 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on rack, 30 minutes, then unmold and let cool completely.
- In saucepan, bring cream, milk, and sugar to boil. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in gelatin, chèvre, salt, and pepper. Pour into prepared molds and refrigerate until set.
- Slice strawberries, then toss in a bowl with sugar and lemon juice.
- Serve with cake and panna cotta.
- from Pastry Chef Maggie Huff of FT33, Dallas, TX