1¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons potato starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons ground ginger
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup butter
3 ounces cream cheese
1½ plus ¼ cup sugar, divided
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons + ⅓ cup orange juice, divided
¼ cup cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, potato starch, baking powder, and ground ginger.
- In a mixer, combine butter and cream cheese with a paddle until smooth.
- Add 1½ cups sugar, fresh ginger, and orange zest to the bowl and mix until light in color.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and add eggs one at a time, mixing between additions.
- Scrape down sides of bowl again. Add ½ of the dry ingredients, then add 2 tablespoons orange juice, and then add other half of the dry ingredients.
- Remove bowl from mixer. Fold in ⅓ of the whipped cream and once combined, fold in remaining whipped cream until just combined.
- Pour batter into 2 greased 8½” x 4½” loaf pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Repeatedly poke top surface of cake with a toothpick, creating many small holes.
- For the glaze, combine ⅓ cup orange juice with ¼ cup sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until sugar has dissolved, then pour hot mixture over cakes.
- Let cakes cool and remove from pan. Wrap in parchment paper and finish with a bow as a lovely presentation for your favorite host or hostess.
- from The Local Palate Kitchen