2–6 servings, depending on the hunger level of consumers
1½ tablespoons salted butter
1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
1½ cups heavy cream
¼ cup Pecorino-Romano cheese, plus extra for garnish
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper
14 ounces roasted turkey breast, sliced thick
4 slices Texas toast, crust removed and sliced in half diagonally
2 Roma tomatoes, halved
4 slices bacon, cooked to crispy
- In a two-quart saucepan, melt butter. Slowly whisk in flour until combined and keep whisking to form a thick paste or roux. Continue to cook roux for 2 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- Whisk heavy cream into roux and cook over medium heat until cream begins to simmer, about 2–3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in Pecorino-Romano cheese until sauce is smooth. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- For each sandwich, place one slice of toast in an oven-safe dish and cover each with 7 ounces of turkey. Take the two halves of Roma tomato and two toast points and set them alongside the base of the turkey and toast. Pour half of the sauce over the dish, completely covering it. Sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Place entire dish under a broiler until cheese begins to brown and bubble. Remove and cross two pieces of crispy bacon on top. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley and serve immediately.
- From the Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY