5 dozen oysters
26 slices of bacon, diced
2 links smoked andouille sausage, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 small jalapeños, diced
10 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups chopped collards
1 quart heavy cream
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Rock salt for plating
- Shuck oysters and set aside in refrigerator while making filling.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make filling, crisp bacon in sauté pan set over medium heat.
- Add sausage and onion, cooking until onion is translucent, then add jalapeños and garlic. When garlic becomes fragrant, after about 30 seconds, add collards. Cook until collards wilt, again about 30 seconds, then add heavy cream.
- Reduce sauce for several minutes, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add Parmesan. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each oyster with 1 large tablespoon filling and sprinkle with panko. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes. Move to top rack and broil to crisp top.
- To serve, spread bed of rock salt on plate to keep oysters in place, and arrange oysters on top of salt.
- From Kurtis Schumm of Tybee Island Fish Camp, Tybee Island, Georgia