- Roughly chop spinach across stems, discarding extra stems. Set aside.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add cubed paneer and lightly brown on all sides. Remove paneer and set aside.*
- Add ghee (if using) to same frying pan and melt. Add nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir and let fry for 1 minute. Add ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir and let fry for 4 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic paste. Stir and let fry for 4 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium high. Add half the spinach to frying pan and coat with spice mixture. Allow spinach to wilt and then add remaining spinach, mixing gently until all spinach is wilted.
- Turn heat to low. Add cream and gently stir to combine. Add lemon juice and gently stir.
- Turn off heat. Add fried paneer to spinach mixture and toss gently to distribute paneer evenly throughout dish. Try to keep paneer in whole pieces. Let sit covered for 5−7 minutes before serving.
Tip: If you are serving this for a party add the paneer about 7 minutes before serving. Once you have added the paneer do not place it in a warmer. Always store covered so paneer does not dry out or harden.