1 baguette, sliced
4-6 ounces goat cheese
Fig shallot preserves (recipe follows)
4-6 ounces prosciutto
15 Calimyrna figs, quartered
4 cups hot water
1 ½ tablespoons brandy extract
7 shallots quartered
¾ cups white balsamic vinegar
3 cups sugar
- Place dried figs in a container with hot water and brandy extract for an hour to rehydrate.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat and cook until liquid is slightly thick, Be careful not to overcook; if the figs start to brown and liquid is minimal you’ve gone too far.
- Remove from heat and cool completely. Preserves will keep approximately 4 weeks if stored in sealed containers in the refrigerator.
- Toast baguette slices.
- Spread goat cheese onto each slice.
- Spread fig shallot preserves on each slice and then cover with sliced prosciutto.
- from Chef Teryi Youngblood of Passerelle Bistro, Greenville, SC