½ cup sugar
¾ cup orange juice
2 ounces unsalted butter
Pinch black pepper
4 cups peeled and sliced ripe peaches|
¾ cup stone-ground cornmeal
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup sugar
3 ounces cold butter cut into pieces
⅔ cup buttermilk
- In sauté pan over medium heat, heat sugar until liquid and golden, about 6 minutes. Slowly pour in orange juice to stop caramelization, stirring with wooden spoon until all juice is incorporated and bubbling.
- Add butter, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth.
Add peaches and simmer over medium-low heat.
- While peaches are simmering, combine in medium bowl cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix to combine.
- Add in butter, using fingers to completely blend. Add buttermilk while lightly mixing with wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Once peaches are tender, drop spoonfuls of dumpling batter on top, leaving 1 inch between each one.
- Adjust heat to medium-low, cover, and allow slump to simmer 10–12 minutes or until dumplings are firm and lightly golden. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- from Chef Phoebe Lawless of Scratch Bakery of Durham, NC