This bright and tangy gazpacho from chef Chris Rainosek of The Noble South in Mobile, Alabama features a summer bounty of produce. With ripe peaches, yellow tomatoes, and crisp cucumbers, the gazpacho is earthy, tart, with a slightly sweet undertone, mixed with a hearty helping of lump crab meat. Top it with Crab Roe Crème Fraîche and a light dusting of Old Bay Seasoning.
1 pound yellow tomatoes chopped (reserve any liquid),
½ pound ripe peaches chopped (reserve any liquid)
½ pound chopped cucumber seeded
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
4 large basil leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
½ cup olive oil|
1 small yellow onion diced
1 pound lump crabmeat shells removed
1 cup canola oil
¾ cup cider vinegar
1 cup ice water
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 cup crème fraîche
1 tablespoon crab roe
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
Crab Roe Crème Fraîche
Make the Gazpacho
- Mix all ingredients except olive oil in blender. Once mixture is smooth, slowly add olive oil while blender is running.
- Strain through fine sieve and discard any solids. Taste and season as needed. Refrigerate.
Make the Crab
- In large nonreactive bowl, add half diced onion. Top with crabmeat, and then add other half diced onion.
- Add, in this order, oil, vinegar, and water. Refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and stir to combine. Season with salt and white pepper. Keep cold.
Make the Crab Roe Crème Fraîche
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate.
- Place a mound of crab, squeezing to remove any excess marinade, in center of soup bowl. Surround with gazpacho. Drizzle soup with crème fraîche.
Recipe ByChris Rainosek of The Noble South in Mobile, Alabama