- Mix the pears with lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- Bring the honey and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean (see note for instructions) and add to the syrup.
- Tightly pack pear slices into hot jars. Pour boiling syrup over the pears, leaving ½ inch headspace. Be sure pears are covered in syrup.
- Check for air bubbles, wipe the rims, and either refrigerate or seal by processing for 15 minutes.
Note: To scrape vanilla bean seeds, halve the bean lengthwise and place it cut side up on a cutting board. Securely holding the split bean in one hand and a knife in the other, run the blade down the length of the bean, pressing down to scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to the recipe.
- from Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen (Rodale Books, 2010)