About 4 pints of pickles
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
8 slivered garlic cloves
12 thin slices of ginger (each the width of a quarter)
2 thinly sliced small onions
2 slivered jalapeños
2 heads worth of cauliflower florets
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
6 cups champagne vinegar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons turmeric
- Toast together coriander seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and black peppercorns. Set aside seeds.
- In a bowl, combine the slivered garlic cloves, thin slices of ginger, thinly sliced small onions, slivered jalapeños, and cauliflower florets.
- Pack vegetables in jars and disperse toasted spices evenly amongst jars.
- Bring sugar, kosher salt, champagne vinegar, water, and turmeric to a boil, stirring until fully dissolved.
- Pour brine into each jar, covering the vegetables and leaving ½ inch of headspace at the top.
- Hand-tighten the sterilized lids, submerge in boiling water, and process jars for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars and allow to cool slightly. Then invert the jars to create a better seal and let stand for several hours.
- Ensure jars are vacuum-sealed before storing. Enjoy!
- from Chef Kevin Johnson, The Grocery, Charleston, South Carolina