Makes 4 servings
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup leeks, thinly sliced
2 large egg yolks
2 cups cold mashed potatoes
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon rice flour
4 large eggs
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
2 cups blended oil (for frying)
1 large head of garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
1½ cups extra virgin olive oil
For the roasted garlic aioli:
- In sauté pan, melt butter. Add leeks and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and cool.
- Mix yolks, mashed potatoes, leeks, salt, coriander, and flour in medium bowl. Roll into small balls and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Beat whole eggs in bowl and place panko in separate bowl.
- Pour blended oil into medium skillet and set over medium-high heat. Pan is ready when pinch of breadcrumbs bubbles immediately when added.
- Dip potato balls into egg, then roll in breadcrumbs. Working in batches, fry balls, turning often, until golden brown and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve warm with aioli.
Roasted Garlic Aioli
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut thin slice off very top of garlic head to expose tops of cloves. Set head in shallow baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and season.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 to 1½ hours, until garlic is very soft. Set aside to cool, reserving oil from pan.
- When cool, squeeze pulp out of garlic into food processor bowl. Add yolks, vinegar, water, salt, and cayenne. Purée until smooth.
- With motor running, slowly add reserved oil from roasted garlic plus 1½ cups extra-virgin olive oil until combined.
- From Savannah Sasser, Sasser Culinary Insights, Atlanta