5 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs thyme
2 tablespoons butter
1 white onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
4 cups pumpkin purée (recipe follows)
4 cups navy beans, soaked overnight in water and cooked until tender
3 3-ounce Italian sausage links cooked, cooled, and sliced into rounds
½ bunch sage, chopped
Salt and pepper
6 cups pumpkin, peeled and cubes
6 cups water
Salt and white pepper
- In a medium saucepot, steep the chicken stock, bay leaves, and thyme for 20 minutes. Strain, discarding herbs. Reserve stock for the soup.
- In a large soup pot, add the butter, onion, and celery and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, pumpkin purée, and navy beans. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the sausage and sage and simmer for 15 additional minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into warm bowls and serve with crusty bread on the side.
- Place pumpkin and water in a medium saucepot. Bring water to a gentle simmer and cook pumpkin for 20−25 minutes, until pumpkin is knife-tender.
- Place pumpkin and half of the liquid in a blender and purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- from Chef Bob Carter