Pumpkin Roulade with White Chocolate Mascarpone Filling
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 13 by 8 by 1 inch sheet pan. Line pan with parchment paper- grease and flour the paper. In small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and seasoning. In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar together over medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Turn speed to low and fold in pumpkin. Once pumpkin is incorporated slowly add flour mixture. Pour into pan and baked for 10-12 minutes.
- While cake is baking, lay out a clean, thin, cotton dish towel on a flat surface and sift half of the powder sugar on top. As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, loosen it around the edges and invert onto the dish towel. Starting at the short end slowly roll the cake into a log, using as little pressure as possible with your hands. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, melt the chocolate with half the cream over a double broiler. Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the mascarpone, powder sugar, and remaining cream until fluffy. Once chocolate has melted fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Once cake has cooled, unroll it. Evenly spread the filling over the top and re-roll the cake using the towel as the guide. Enjoy!
Maple Bacon Ice Cream
- In a heavy bottom pot bring milk, cream, ¾ cup sugar, and vanilla to a simmer. Steep for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg yolks and remaining sugar. Slowly whisk milk mixture into egg mixture. Chill completely.
- In a sauté pan melt bacon grease over low heat. Once melted, whisk in the maple syrup.
- Whisk into the ice cream base and follow ice cream machine manufacturers’ directions.
- Slice the pumpkin roulade about one inch thick. Serve with a scoop of maple bacon ice cream on top.