2 venison shanks
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium carrot, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1½ cups red wine
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
4 cups meat stock (venison broth is best but beef or chicken will do)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Season the venison shank with salt and pepper. Preheat a dutch oven on medium heat. Sear the shanks in a dutch oven on all sides until brown.
- Remove shanks and add carrot, onion, and celery, and cook over medium-low heat until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add red wine and cook over high heat until the liquid has reduced by two-thirds. Add thyme, bay leaves, broth, and shanks and cook on high until the liquid reaches a simmer.
- Put lid on the pot and place in oven for 2−3 hours. It is done when the meat falls off the bone easily. Remove the shanks and reduce the liquid in the pan until it is thick with the consistency of a sauce. Remove meat from the bone, pour sauce over meat, and serve.
- Chef Jason Houser of Meathouse, Charleston, SC