2 heads broccoli (or 2 bunches broccoli rabe)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced paper thin
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
12 ounces rigatoni
Pinch of chili flakes
Fine sea salt to taste
- Trim the bottom ½ inch from the broccoli stalks, then slice into ½-inch lengths.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Immediately place in ice bath to stop the broccoli from continuing to cook.
- Place garlic and 2 tablespoons of oil in a cold sauté pan. Place over medium-high heat and bloom the garlic until golden brown.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 10 minutes. (If using rabe, cook longer, 15−20 minutes, until it breaks down to a consistency similar to a paste.)
- Cook pasta for 10−11 minutes, or until slightly under al dente. Drain, reserving a few ounces of pasta water.
- Add the cooked pasta to the broccoli along with some of the pasta water. Cook for 1 minute. Add chili flakes and remaining oil. Season with sea salt. Serve immediately.
- from Chef Philip Krajeck of Rolf and Daughters, Nashville, Tennessee